Thursday, February 26, 2015

Christmas, a Little Late


Today is December 8th. I'm a stay at home mom on Mondays. I've been doing the things that moms do – wiping noses, picking up toys, making lunches, giving snugs, rubbing feeties, laughing at silly boys, enduring endless cartoons and being unbelievably blessed… And then those things that are specific to the holidays – decorating the house, hanging ornaments on garland, finding ways to add more festivity and twinkle lights to the house, thinking about the upcoming party, listening to Christmas music and trying to keep a myriad of secrets and contain my excitement.

Christmas in Phoenix is much different from my holiday experiences as a child. This first week of December is mild, about 10 degrees warmer than normal for the area, and I am walking around in my signature tiara-Santa hat combo, a tank top and yoga pants with both the front and back doors open enjoying the breeze.

Sitting on the couch, I can revel in the lights on the tree, the wreath on the door, the garland and ornaments hanging on the hutch…. I can see the snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and remember my kids working with my dad to hang them. I see the stars, the little dolls, the statues… And the stories behind each of them. There are new decorations from the dollar store, for endless Goodwill trips, the decorated pictures Chloe and I worked on together, the wreaths we re-made from their thrift store glory…

The items themselves are not precious. Most are worth only pennies but they evoke such feelings of family, of togetherness and memories. These are the things I love about this time of year, whether it be a white Christmas or flip-flop worthy. I love celebrating the birth of our Savior and am excited to teach the kiddos that the spirit of Christmas exists in the hearts of those who love Him, not in the endless to-do lists or presents or twinkle lights. Christ came as a gift. My family is a gift. For both, I am thankful.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks and sounds wonderful. I can't wait to spend a holiday with you guys sometime, any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Groundhog Day, Arbor Day... :)

~Linda