Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chloe and Nathan

Well, giving Chloe a break the other day didn't work. She is still crying in the mornings and saying that she doesn't want to go to school. Today was really bad. She cried, she cried and she cried. She even cried when I was trying to drop her off at school. She seemed to have it together until I kissed her and told her that if she ever needed me, she could call me and I would come immediately. She lost it and broke down again. So, I don't know what's going on... I pulled her back in the car and drove to a parking spot and shot up a quick prayer...
And then, blessedly, Chloe's teacher walked by. I grabbed her and told her a little of whats been going on and that I've been asking Chloe if everything is ok in her classroom... Her teacher asked her if she likes where she sits, if she's sad about something or upset... And Chloe just cried again and said she just feels like staying home. Her teacher's name is Ms. Eaton. Ms Eaton suggested that she could help Chloe find some more fun things to do - maybe reading books that she's interested in or working on special projects... And Ms. Eaton said she would try to work with Chloe to make school more enjoyable. The thing is, I know Chloe enjoys school. I know she does. I honestly think the real problem is that she's just burned out. She's done and ready to have an extended break.
When I get home today, I'm going to make a countdown calendar to help her see the light at the end of the tunnel because they really only have a few days left of school. Their last day is June 10th (I think) and so that means she's only got like 12 days of school left. (Wow, even I didn't realize it was that soon!!!!) Anyway, I'm hoping that seeing how little time she has left will encourage her to make it through her last couple of days.
Nathan's teacher set a goal at the beginning of the school year for each student to complete 25 book reports. I was working pretty regularly with him in the beginning and then slacked off... And now he's only completed 6. So for the past couple of weeks we've been working on it and he's completed an additional 5 (with the exception of the definition portion which I have to help him with on Friday.) With the definitions completed, these 5 will put him up to 11 total.
I was really hoping we could make the goal but with only 12 days left, I don't think we'll make it. I am going to at least try to get him to 15. That's our new goal. And I'm trying to think of a reward for him if he reaches it... Maybe we can get one or two of his friends to spend the night... That would be fun! I could let Nathan pick a movie to rent, pop some popcorn and let him and his friends camp out in the living room. I think that sounds good! Its a plan! :)

No comments: