Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Single Step

I got satellite Internet today. We have a 30 day trial period before we have to decide whether or not it is worth it... Its moderately faster than dial-up but NO WHERE near the blessed-ness of cable. My major hang-up comes from the 2 year contract and the fact that my husband has just informed me that we will be likely moving at the end of our lease.
I think he gets bored. He finds things about a house, a company, a job... that he doesn't like and decides to move on. I agree with him on a couple of his points - I would like to have an air-tight house so we are not inundated by all types of bugs like we are now; moving would give us the chance to have high-speed Internet again; we also might get a pool; and the yard here is very high maintenance. With me not working (I'll elaborate on that in a minute), all the financial burden falls on Lowell and that leaves him even less time to mow and weed-eat the yard. (I'm using a lot of hypens in this post.. Just an observation.) My biggest hang up is I HATE MOVING!!! I don't want to move again so soon; I just finally finished unpacking. Our lease is up in December so we still have awhile to figure out what we want to do... I'll keep you updated.
About working, Sunday was my last day at New Life Center. I am bummed about not seeing my friends anymore but I do feel blessed that God allowed me to ease my way out... I was able to go to part-time and still see my co-workers at least a couple days a week. Now I won't be there at all. It definitely hasn't sunk in yet, and I'm sure I will begin to go a little stir crazy without the adult interaction. That being said, I start my practicum next week.
I have training tomorrow to help me learn the signs of abuse in children. This is a required class because I'll be working at a parochial school one day each week. I am looking forward to trying something new, although I'm a little leery because I have never really thought that I wanted to work with children. Honestly, kids make me nervous... I worry that I won't have the energy that working with children requires.
Fortuitously, church was about worry this weekend. The major message of the sermon was to do everything that I can and then to trust that God will take care of the rest. So, what can I do in this situation? I can try to rest as much as possible, exercise, eat well, take opportunities to refresh myself and pray. And then trust Him with the results. Worrying won't help me.
I'm mainly saying all of that to myself as a reminder...
In an attempt to refresh myself and also to answer my creative urges that have begun to return finally, I have decided to start scrapbooking again. I can't being to tell you the last time I completed a page... Or even started a page. I'm horribly behind - but I'm not going to focus on that. I want to focus on the process of creation instead. My other focus is going to be on creative usage of the materials I currently possess. I want to see how much I can get done using only the supplies I have. This is a multi-faceted decision - financial, creatively challenging, and practical -- if we move in a few months, there will be less to move. :)
My original plan was to begin scrapbooking tonight but I find myself so far behind in the things that I need to accomplish -- phone calls to make, emails to respond to, bills to pay, that I find myself shying away from the idea.
No, I have decided --- there is no time better than the present to begin. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, right?!? So, here's to first steps. I pray that you will begin your own journey today -- remember, don't worry -- do all you can, and leave the rest to Him.

1 comment:

theKband said...

I hope things go well for you! What a challenging job! We love you guys!