Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Side Effect Blessing

Faithfulness journal entry #2 -- Its warm here. Why is that an answer to prayer? Well, by now, most of you know we don't have a hot water heater.... (This will be personal -- for those of you with delicate sensitivities, you may want to skip ahead) There comes a certain time of the month where a sponge bath just won't cut it, and a regular bath (with water heated on the stove) is a very unpleasant idea... So, there is no alternative but to shower. With straight cold water. Straight. Cold. Water. You may also know, by now, that I am a person who loves the warm and has an extreme dislike for cold.
So, I stood outside the shower for awhile feeling the drops hitting my legs and thinking about what I was about to do. I took a deep breath and got in. Halfway. And honestly, surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I even got brave enough to wash my hair. With no hot water.
After I got out of the shower, I was marveling at my own stamina when I realized the reason I could stand the water was because its been in the 80s around here. That, coupled with prayer about my ability to withstand the cold and I was able to get through. I even washed my hair! Even though it was freezing, it was do-able, and a fantastic break from boiling water on the stove for our baths every day.
I am not nearly narcissistic enough to believe that the good weather exists only for my comfort - but I believe it was a blessing, even if only a side effect. :) I'll take it!

No comments: