Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Priorities

Going to the doctor is always a struggle for me. There are a lot of reasons why but there's one issue in particular I think I can change. I don't really know much about the lives of my family members so I definitely don't know about their medical histories. So when I am asked about my family history of illness, I have no idea. I have decided to take an interesting approach... I went online and found some medical history forms and printed them out. I'm going to send them to my family and hopefully, without offending them, get a whole picture of my family tree. I'd really like to take the time to interview my family members... I'd like to know about their parents, their childhoods, just their lives... I don't feel very connected with my extended family. And my horrible memory doesn't help the matter any. That's partially why I'd like to interview them and get things written down. I also think it's important for us to share our stories with the next generations... When my great grandmas die, their stories will be lost. And my memory of the stories they've told me isn't reliable enough to count on. I hope they will be able to understand and appreciate my motives instead of being offended or feel like I'm invading their privacy. Wouldn't you like to know more about your family and their lives?
Circumstances in my life recently have lead me to begin to focus on things that are important. I think God is really trying to teach me what life is all about. I heard on the radio today, "Make peace with God and peace with yourself, because in the end, that's all there is." I'd add family to that. I believe that I have been put on earth not to have a beautiful house, car or body but to show the beauty of a life lived for Christ and a life that gives Him glory. Also, to help members of my family to experience the fullness of joy by letting Christ live in them. My prayer is that I can continue to keep my eyes on what is important and to not be led astray by the lure of soceity. That is my prayer for you too. :)

No comments: