Monday, December 12, 2011

Spoiled

It seems that blessings are a theme of my posts lately. Today is no different. I was reminded yesterday of just how wonderful a husband I have. I have to back up a few days to properly tell this story. Lowell has been working 6 or 7 days a week for the past couple of months and so some of the yard work around the house has begun to slide. He decided that on Friday, we would spend the day tackling our yard together. He worked 12 hours on Thursday and then went, Friday morning, to a friend's house to help him with his car. He came home and slept about 3 hours and then he worked 12 hours Friday night also. So, when he came home Saturday morning, instead of going to bed like any "normal" person would, he got out the weedeater and got to work. Meanwhile, the kids and I started picking up trash and toys, weeding, pruning and raking. About 12 we went inside for lunch. As I was making sandwiches, I noticed Lowell was begining to fall asleep on the couch. That was when Nathan reminded me that his parade was that night. I remembered about his parade, of course, but I didn't even think about Lowell staying awake to do the yard and then still wanting to go to the parade... I woke him up to tell him about the parade, and ask what he wanted me to do - when I should wake him up, either in time for the parade (in 5 hours) or in time to go to work. Being the wonderful dad he is, he wanted to make it to Nathan's big debut. So, after sleeping only 3 hours the day before, he slept about 4 hours Saturday, went to support his son and then went back to work Saturday night. Sunday, Lowell came home and crashed. The kids and I went about our normal routine. We cleaned, played, and got lunches ready for the school week. In the evening, the kids were supposed to be taking baths...
I say "supposed" because, to add to my husband's crazy few days, our water heater went out. We have no hot water. None.
About 4pm, Lowell got up and started boiling water. I was cleaning, taking care of Wyatt and trying to cook dinner and the time was getting away from me. Without mentioning anything to my wonderful husband, he took it upon himself to drag the hose into the house and start filling up our bathtub. He boiled pot after pot of water until it was ready for the kids and then took over the dinner preparations while I bathed the kids. After we ate dinner (yummy hamburgers) and played a couple games, I put the kids to bed and started my homework and writing notes for my client's files. While I was on the computer, Lowell started boiling water again. He filled up the bathtub for me, lit candles, set up Christmas music in the bathroom and made a wonderful surprise for me... After my husband worked so hard, he made this special effort to help me relax.
I feel spoiled. Spoiled and blessed. And thankful that I have such a wonderful husband.
Life happens. Water heaters go out. But family is what counts. And where it counts -- I'm blessed.

1 comment:

Stony and Brit said...

Oh my gosh you are spoiled. :) Gold stars all over for Lowell. I'm glad your honey spoils you--you deserve it.