Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Compliment

Chloe gave me a great compliment last night...
Most nights we read a Bible story together before bed. I ask the kids questions about the stories that we've read and make sure they're retaining the information... They take turns answering and fight over who gets to answer the hard questions. Last night we talked about Moses and the Red Sea. At the end of the story, there is a question for the kids to think about and pray about. Last night it was, "Can you think of a time your family was in trouble? How did God protect you?" Chloe's response was, I can't think of a time when I family was in trouble... So, I mentioned some times that we've had car issues or money issues or health concerns and how God has met our needs. Chloe thought for a moment and then said, "I don't notice when we have troubles." That is a fantastic compliment because it means that we're hiding our stress from our kids and insulating them from adult concerns. I want them to be free from the pressures of life until they have to be responsible for them. Right now, my kids worry about their homework and their friends. They memorize their Bible verses and they have problems with their friends. But they don't see that Mom and Dad are dealing with larger issues. Honestly, Lowell and I are not struggling -- we are very blessed and aren't being hurt by this recession nearly as badly as some of our friends and family... But during this time where there is added stress, my kids are not being affected. That was my goal, and according to Chloe - we're succeeding!!! That is fantastic! Thank you Mari!
(My nickname for Chloe is Mari because "butterfly" in Spanish is mariposa)

No comments: